Agaricus Blazei Benefits: A Superfood for Immune, Glycemic, Liver Support, and Adaptogenic Benefits
As we become more health-conscious, we turn to natural substances for solutions. One of the most potent natural health solutions comes from the mushroom kingdom, specifically the Agaricus blazei mushroom. This mushroom has been known for its immune-boosting properties for decades, but recently, its benefits have expanded to include glycemic control, liver support, and adaptogenic abilities. This article will explore these Agaricus blazei benefits and why you should consider incorporating this superfood into your diet.
Agaricus blazei mushroom for immune support
Agaricus blazei mushroom has been used in folk remedies and is known as the "mushroom of life" due to its various health benefits. One of its primary benefits is immune support; it contains beta-glucans that stimulate the immune system and increase resistance to foreign invaders. Several studies have shown that consuming Agaricus blazei mushroom extract can improve the body's natural ability to support cellular health and strengthen the activities of NK cells and macrophages that deal with unhealthy cells, germs, and bacteria.(1)
Agaricus blazei mushroom for glycemic support
Beyond immune support, researchers point out a positive impact of Agaricus blazei mushroom on glycemic support. This mushroom contains polysaccharides that help regulate insulin and blood sugar levels, making it an excellent natural option to maintain healthy blood glucose levels.(2)
Agaricus blazei for liver health
Another clinically supported Agaricus blazei benefit is its liver support abilities. Antioxidant in the mushroom acts as a liver protectant, helping maintain liver health affected by toxins and contaminants accumulated in the liver over time. Studies have shown that consuming Agaricus Blazei, mushroom extract can protect liver cells and minimize the risk of liver inflammation. (3)
Agaricus blazei as an adaptogen
The last Agaricus blazei benefit is its adaptogenic ability, known to help the body cope with stress and fatigue. Adaptogens are plants or mushrooms that help the body adapt to stressors and minimize the harmful effects of various stressors.(4) Studies have shown that Agaricus blazei mushrooms can modulate inflammatory responses and combat oxidative stress to maintain the physiological balance in your body.(5)
Agaricus blazei mushroom is a must-try for adults and companion pets seeking immune, glycemic, liver support, and adaptogenic benefits. This superfood contains beta-glucans that strengthen the immune system, polysaccharides that support healthy blood sugar levels, the mushroom’s antioxidant that protects the liver, and adaptogenic ability that help the body cope with stress. You can consume Agaricus blazei mushrooms in various forms, including capsules, liquid tinctures, soups, or teas.
- Ahn WS, Kim DJ, Chae GT, Lee JM, Bae SM, Sin JI, Kim YW, Namkoong SE, Lee IP (2004) Natural killer cell activity and quality of life were improved by consumption of a mushroom extract, Agaricus blazei Murill Kyowa, in gynecological cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. Int J Gynecol Cancer 14:589–594
- Hsu CH, Liao YL, Lin SC, Hwang KC, Chou P (2007) The mushroom Agaricus blazei Murill in combination with metformin and gliclazide improves insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes: a randomized, double-blinded, and placebo-controlled clinical trial. J Altern Complement Med 13:97–102
- Hsu CH, Hwang KC, Chiang YH, Chou P (2008) The mushroom Agaricus blazei Murill extract normalizes liver function in patients with chronic hepatitis B. J Altern Complement Med 14:299–301
- Cleveland Clinic. ‘What are Adaptogens & Types.’ Cleveland Clinic, 10 Feb. 2022, https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/drugs/22361-adaptogens.
- Mourao F. et al. Anti-inflammatory activity of Agaricus blazei in different basidiocarp maturation phases. Food and Agricultural Immunology Vol 22, No4, December 2011, 325-333